Binder Rocks

From Encyclopedia Westarctica
Jump to: navigation, search
Map of the western shore of the Martin Peninsula showing Binder Rocks

The Binder Rocks (74°14′S 115°3′W) are an isolated rock outcrop located 4 nautical miles (7 km) south of the Siglin Rocks on the west side of Martin Peninsula in Westarctica.

Discovery and name

The rocks were first photographed from the air by U.S. Navy Operation Highjump in January 1947. Binder Rocks were named by the Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names for Lieutenant R.A. Binder, a U.S. Navy maintenance coordinator at the Williams Field air strip at McMurdo Sound, during Operation Deep Freeze 1967.

Peerage title

On 17 January 2019, Tino Hutfilz was granted the peerage title Baron of Binder in recognition of his support of Westarctica.