Cape Waite is a cape at the northwest extremity of the King Peninsula, marking the southwest side of the entrance to Peacock Sound on the coast of Westarctica. The nearby Waite Islands were named in connection with this cape.
The existence of Cape Waite, like much of the coastline of Marie Byrd Land, was delineated from air photos taken by U.S. Navy Operation Highjump in December 1946.
Cape Waite was named by Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names for Amory H. Waite, a member of the Byrd Antarctic Expedition, 1933–35, and communications specialist on the Atka vovage of 1955 as well as the U.S. Navy Bellingshausen Sea Expedition of 1959-60. Waite was investigating the high number of aircraft crashes in Antarctica when he discovered that certain radar frequencies were not reflected from the surface of the ice, they penetrated through to the land surface below giving false altimeter readings.
This discovery both made flight much safer and started the use of Radioglaciology to survey the topography of the land surface beneath the ice.