Steventon Island

From Encyclopedia Westarctica
Jump to: navigation, search
Map showing Steventon Island and surrounding islands in the Marshall Archipelago

Steventon Island (77°15′S 148°15′W) is a broad ice-covered island about 39 km (24 mi) off of the coast of Westarctica in the Marshall Archipelago lying west of Court Ridge in the Sulzberger Ice Shelf. It is 45 km (28 mi) long and 27 km (16.8 mi) wide, and covers an area of around 780 km² (301 sq mi).

Discovery and name

It was mapped from surveys by the United States Geological Survey (USGS) and U.S. Navy air photos (1959–65), and named for Richard F. Steventon, the Petty Officer in charge of Eights Station in 1963.