Grinder Island is one of the ice-covered islands in the Marshall Archipelago, located within the Sulzberger Ice Shelf off the coast of Westarctica. The island is 13 kilometers (7 nmi) long and 2 kilometers (1 nmi) wide and lies 24 kilometers (13 nmi) southwest of Steventon Island.
Discovery and name
The island was mapped by the United States Geological Survey from surveys and U.S. Navy air photos taken during the years 1959–65. Grinder Island was named by the Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names in honor of Harry W. Grinder, a U.S. Navy aviation structural mechanic who served at McMurdo Station in 1967.