Ferrero Bay

From Encyclopedia Westarctica
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Map showing locatino of Ferrero Bay and the Cosgrove Ice Shelf

Ferrero Bay is a body of water about 15 nautical miles (30 km) wide, lying immediately west of the Cosgrove Ice Shelf and occupying the outer (west) part of the embayment between the King Peninsula and the Canisteo Peninsula.

Discovery and name

The bay was mapped from air photos taken by U.S. Navy Operation Highjump in December 1946. Ferrero Bay was named by the Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names in honor of Lieutenant Commander H. H. Ferrero, who served as the communications officer on the staff of the Commander, U.S. Navy Support Force, Antarctica during the 1966–68 research seasons.

Geography

There are several groups of small islands in Ferrero Bay. Additional unnamed islands are located within the Cosgrove Ice Shelf itself. Islands locaed in the open water portion of the bay include:

Ancient glaciation

The RV Araon, as seen from a helicopter in the Ferrero Bay off the coast of the Canisteo Peninsula.

Ferrero Bay is one of the largest and southernmost fjords yet studied in Antarctica. Following initial deglaciation, the Cosgrove Ice Shelf covered Ferrero Bay, and productivity was virtually absent during the mid-Holocene, although there was periodic incursion of warm Circumpolar Deep Water. The ice shelf persisted until 2.3 cal. kyr BP as the bay opened and coastal areas deglaciated. The retreat of the Cosgrove Ice Shelf was out of phase with Antarctic Peninsula ice shelves, implying that it did not respond to Holocene climate events but rather to the influence of Circumpolar Deep Water and possibly to internal glacial dynamics.

Peerage title

On 12 June 2024, Grand Duke Travis granted the peerage title Countess de Ferrero to his royal consort, Alicia dos Santos, to celebrate their engagement the day before. Her Ladyship's title is named for Ferrero Bay.