Duke of the Bear Peninsula
The Duke of the Bear Peninsula
|Prince von Kolios|
Prince of Rhye
Duke of Farmer
Marquis of Wilbanks
Knight of the Orca
Knight Commander of the Snowflake
|In Office||11 February 2019 - Present|
|In Office||15 February 2021 - Present|
|In Office||9 March 2018 - 11 February 2019|
|Preceded by||Baron Stogner As Minister of Immigration|
|In Office||1 April 2018 - 11 February 2019|
|Preceded by||Office Established|
|Consort||Jessica Barton (m. Feb 2022)|
|Spouse||Bethany Roden (m. Aug 2011; div. Jul 2016)|
|Mother||Gail Farmer née Snowden|
|Born||24 May 1986|
His Grace, the Duke of the Bear Peninsula, C Jordan Farmer, commonly known as Duke Jordan of the Bear Peninsula, is a member of Westarctica's Hereditary Nobility. Since 11 February 2019, he has served on the Royal Council as Prime Minister of Westarctica. He previously served as the Minister of Citizenship & Immigration and as Commissioner of the Westarctica Civilian Corps. His title is derived from the Bear Peninsula. He was a founder of Kolios, where he currently holds the title of Prince von Kolios.
Jordan was born on 24 May 1986, in Washington, D.C. to parents Joe and Gail. The child of two U.S. Soldiers, Jordan grew up with a more expanded worldview than many. He would move six times during his childhood. Of note among these locations are Hawaii, Bavaria, and South Korea. Raised with two brothers on a Soldier’s pay, he was instilled with fiscal responsibility, a love of music, and a strong belief in philanthropy that focused on giving of one’s time, not simply money. This outlook would become an ongoing theme throughout his life.
Jordan spent the majority of his teen years in southern Arizona, where he attended high school. During this time he fell in love with music, earning all but one of his elective credits in choir courses. Upon graduating he attended Eastern Arizona College, majoring in music. However, after completing a year of study he found himself feeling restless. Between the rigors of studying music taking much of the enjoyment out of the subject and some issues in his personal life, he felt like he needed a new direction.
Jordan entered the U.S. Army in October of 2005, being trained as a Biomedical Equipment Technician. During his technical training at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas; he was the only Army personnel admitted into the Air Force Chaplain’s White Rope leadership program, and was eventually elevated to the position of Squadron Rope in recognition of his support and dedication to the program. During his career, he would also be stationed at the Presidio of Monterey, California; Camp Carroll, South Korea; Fort Knox, Kentucky; and Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
During this time Jordan continued volunteering: coordinating the U.S. federal giving initiative, the Combined Federal Campaign; becoming the training NCO for the hospital Color Guard; and working with Club Beyond, a teen outreach program. While at Fort Campbell, he deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom with the 101st Airborne Division. He was Honorably Discharged from active duty status as a Sergeant in January of 2013.
Early Westarctican Activities
In 2017, Jordan became a citizen of Westarctica. He was initially drawn to the nation because of its dual existence as a not for profit entity that had a real world mission of conservation. Later that year he was bestowed with the title Duke of the Bear Peninsula.
Minister of Citizenship & Immigration
In February of 2018, Jordan approached Grand Duke Travis about starting a Facebook page for Westarctica's citizens. His hope was that this group would help foster a greater sense of community among Westarcticans. As it turned out, the Grand Duke had created a group years earlier, but activity had slowed to a standstill. Grand Duke Travis handed control of the group over to Jordan. The group's membership swelled from only 12, to nearly 400 in just six months. He would serve in this role until December of that year, when it was added to the responsibilities of the newly elevated Minister of Communications
Shortly after taking the reins of the Citizens of Westarctica group, Jordan offered to assist the Grand Duke with the backlog of immigration requests. Grand Duke Travis accepted, and decided to make Jordan the Minister of Citizenship & Immigration, adding him to the growing Royal Council.
In April of 2018, Jordan proposed implementation of the Citizen Identification Number. This system of numbers would work much like a tax ID or Social Security Number, in the United States, allowing a unique seven digit code for each citizen. Currently, the CIN is used only in tracking citizenship numbers, and in official Civilian Corps recordkeeping.
Jordan officially relinquished his duties when elected to the post of Prime Minister.
Commissioner of the Civilian Corps
In March of 2018, Jordan approached Grand Duke Travis with an idea to expand and diversify Westarctica's ability to recognize citizens for their contributions to the nation. The idea was to have a non-military organization that allowed citizens to earn military-style ribbons for acts they were already doing, while also incentivizing further activity within Westarctica. After correspondence back-and-forth, the Westarctica Civilian Corps was unveiled to the public on 1 April 2018.
On 13 July 2018, Jordan was given the additional title Marquis of Wilbanks in the Peerage of Westarctica in recognition of his achievements with the Civilian Corps. The title is named for Mount Wilbanks on the southern border of the Bear Peninsula.
Candidate for Prime Minister
Jordan's candidacy for Prime Minister of Westarctica in the 2019 election was announced on 9 January of that year. Shortly thereafter, he unveiled his 12-point plan regarding his vision for the term, should he be elected. These were:
- Expand the Royal Council with functional appointments.
- More face-to-face encounters both among citizens and between citizens and public servants.
- Foster diversity and inclusion in Westarctican government.
- Bolster Westarctica’s role as one of the community’s leading Micronations.
- Strengthen relations with other Micronations; both deepening existing ties, and forming new ones.
- Concentrate on building a deep and unique Westarctican culture.
- Expand merchandise offerings to support activities.
- Establish framework to prevent duopoly, and discourage triarchy in future Westarctican politics.
- Evaluate potential need and function of future parliament.
- Establish a formalized Westarctican will.
- Streamline public and national holidays.
- Ensure Westarctican longevity with concrete succession plan and framework for new ruling house, and framework for how to proceed should the throne become occupied by a negligent/absentee ruler.
Jordan won the election with 32.7 percent of the votes. The margin for victory was narrow, with Jordan winning by only five votes.
As Prime Minister of Westarctica
Jordan assumed the role of Prime Minister on 11 February 2019. He was elected to a term of four years.
On 28 March 2019 Jordan unveiled a Pride flag for the Westarctican LGBTQIA community. He declared that the flag was a gift for all Westarcticans to utilize in their own pride celebrations.
On 13 April 2019, the First Constitutional Convention was established to draft and approve a governing document, that will establish Westarctica as a true constitutional monarchy. This document is intended to be more robust, and have the ability to guide Westarctica into future generations, when compared to the nation's previous documents. The convention was officially concluded on 30 August of the same year. The constitution of Westarctica was ratified the following February.
Another significant function Jordan has performed during his time as Prime Minister is participation in various diplomatic exchanges. The first of these was to Molossia in April of 2019. During this exchange, Jordan presented President Kevin Baugh with a bottle of his favorite prickly pear mead, and one of the newly minted challenge coins for his office. It was the first such visit in which Grand Duke Travis did not participate.
Later that year, he attended MicroCon 2019 in as part of the Westarctican delegation. The conference served as a coming out of sorts for the new Prime Minister, to the greater micronational community, and he began forming ties with a number of foreign representatives. During the main conference, Jordan gave a presentation on how to better connect with your citizens, from the viewpoint of the work he and the Grand Duke had done over the previous year-and-a-half. Throughout the weekend, he received special recognition from six different micronations.
As Prince von Kolios
In April of 2020, Jordan's mother discovered an old notepad from his childhood. This notepad contained details of a forgotten micronational project Jordan helped create called the Kingdom of Kolios. In this project, Jordan held the titles of Chancellor, Captain of the Guard, and Margrave of Sulli. He additionally held membership in both of the project's orders. When digging into the history of the project after his involvement, it was discovered that it was still active.
Although he held no official posting within the Koliosian government at the time, he was named as the successor to Princess Arlene when she vacated the throne on 26 February 2022.
Micronational Activity Outside of Westarctica
While the majority of Jordan's work done in the greater micronational community is an extension of his role as a member of Westarctica's government, he has engaged in some work as a private person.
In January of 2019, Jordan became a Canon in the short-lived Noble Chapter of the Grand Hunt. This was a fraternal organization aimed at non-denominational Christian fellowship. While initially promising, the Chapter and its adjacent Prince-Abbacy of Inselwald fell into a period of decreased activity, before that project was reimagined as the Kingdom of Argonne. Jordan remained active with Argonne until its disbanding on 20 April 2020.
Jordan is also a founding board member in the forthcoming Micronational Hall of Excellence.
Jordan currently works in the healthcare technologies field, having spent the majority of his career in federal government service. On the side, he does consulting for Kickstarter campaigns and helping non-profit organizations handle trademarking processes. In 2016, he became an ordained minister.
In his spare time he enjoys hiking, volunteering, craft beer, and is an avid hockey fan. He is also has an interest in the history of both micronations and phaleristics (the study of orders, fraternities and award items), with a special focus in areas where the two overlap; he has a growing collection of items from this hobby.
In March of 2020, Jordan published Commentary on the Westarctican Constitution, which provided insight about the thinking behind much of the constitution, as well as opinions on implementation and interpretation.
Jordan is a member of several organizations, including the Orders and Medals Society of America, the Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
In 2015, he began seeing Jessica Barton, a fellow Westarctica citizen. The two were married on 26 February 2022. Although the event was not considered a state affair, numerous Westarctican and Koliosian citizens were in attendance. Grand Duke Travis performed the ceremony, and Duke August of Fox Grove served as a groomsman.
2019 Health Scare
On 29 October 2019, Jordan experienced a series of strokes and was hospitalized. After the stroke symptoms abated, it was discovered that he had entire right-side numbness and had severely diminished motor skill capacity on the same side. Jordan returned to full duty, having regained all function on 9 December 2019. Although the root cause is still unknown, he is currently considered to be in no danger of further episodes.
Titles, Honors, Awards, and Arms
- Duke of the Bear Peninsula since 9 December 2017
- Duke of Farmer since 2 November 2021
- Marquis of Wilbanks since 13 July 2018
- Prince of Rhye since 20 August 2019
- Lord of Farmer Manor since 20 December 2017
- Prince von Kolios since 26 February 2022
- Count von Weltenburg since 24 January 2019
- Earl of Du'r Arddu since 25 November 2021
- Baron of Témiscaming since 20 March 2020
- Laird Norwick since 1 January 2021
Honors, Awards, and Medals
Orders of Chivalry
- Knight Commander in the Noble Order of the Sword, 19 November 2022
- Knight in the Order of the Polar Cross, 6 August 2022
- Knight in the Illustrious Antarctic Order of the Orca, 19 July 2019
- Companion in the Noble Order of Westarctica, 2 November 2021
- Knight Grand Commander in the Order of the Snowflake, 25 April 2018 (Elevated from Knight Commander on 16 August 2020.)
- Knight in the Order of the Desert Heart, 30 April 2019
- Knight Commander in the Most Honorable Order of Kolios, 20 September 1995 (Elevated from Knight on 26 February 2022. Former head of order.)
- Knight Grand Cordon in the Order of the Rose Throne, 26 February 2022 (Former head of order.)
- Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Empire of Agber, 6 May 2020 (Elevated from Knight Commander on 9 December 2020.)
- Knight in the Order of the Grizzly, 8 June 2020
- Seal of the Order of the Peach Blossom, 17 June 2020
- Knight Grand Cross in the Blessed Order of St. George, 14 November 2020
- Knight Commander in the Order of Cordova, 25 December 2020
- Knight in the Order of the Lion and Thistle, 1 January 2021
- Knight Commander in the Order of Arlene I, 29 March 2021
- Seal of the Order of Kanju and Manju, 20 September 2021
- Knight in the Most Excellent Order of the Kite, 1 January 2022
- Knight Grand Cross in the Order of Carthage, 24 April 2020 (defunct)
- Knight Grand Star in the Order of Sawatch, 4 August 2020 (defunct)
- Member in the Order of Berwynese Merit, 8 March 2021 (defunct)
- Knight Grand Cross in the Most Hallowed and Virtuous Order of St. Nicholas, 10 May 2021 (defunct)
- Knight in the Sanctified Order of the Crucifix, 20 September 1995
- Knight Commander in the Order of the Griffin, 12 October 2020
- Knight in the Fraternal Order of the Golden Owl, 25 December 2020
National Medals and Awards
- The Desert Palm, 20 July 2019
- Just One of Us Penguins Medal, 20 July 2019
- Silver Citation of the Dragon, 8 September 2022
- Molossia Friendship Medal, 27 April 2019
- Danduros Medal of Friendship, 20 July 2019
- West Who Medal of Friendship, 20 July 2019
Other Honors and Recognition
- Honored Servant of Westarctica, 1 May 2018
- The Long Blink, 21 July 2019
- Certificate of Commendation, 19 March 2019
- MicroCon 2019 Commemorative Attendance Medal, 20 July 2019
- Koliosian Quartercentennial Medal, 20 September 2020
- May 2018 - Present: Captain in the Molossian Navy (honorary)
- March 2010 - January 2013: Sergeant in the United States Army
- August 2007 - March 2010: Specialist in the United States Army
- October 2005 - August 2007: Private First Class in the United States Army
Westarctica Civilian Corps Awards and Decorations
Shown, from left to right, are:
Top row: Order of the Orca ribbon (with silver Knight device)
Second row: Order of the Snowflake ribbon (with silver Knight Grand Commander device), Order of the Desert Heart ribbon, Honored Servant ribbon
Third row: Civilian Corps Commendation ribbon (2nd award), Civilian Corps Achievement ribbon (3rd award), Recruiting ribbon (3rd award)
Fourth row: Iceberg Award ribbon, Calsahara Expeditionary ribbon, Government Service ribbon
Bottom row: Global Campaign Service ribbon, Civilian Corps Service ribbon, Nobles ribbon
US Military Awards and Decorations
Shown, from left to right, are:
Top row: Army Commendation medal (2nd award)
Second row: Army Achievement medal (3rd award), Air Force Achievement medal, Army Good Conduct medal (2nd award)
Third row: National Defense Service medal, Afghanistan Campaign Service medal (with campaign star), Global War on Terrorism Service medal
Fourth Row: Korea Defense Service medal, Military Outstanding Volunteer Service medal (2nd award), NCO Professional Development ribbon
Bottom Row: Army Service ribbon, Overseas Service ribbon (2nd award), NATO non-Article 5 ISAF medal
Other awards Jordan earned during his service include the Air Force's white aiguillette with a silver tip for service in the Chaplain's leadership program; the Combat Medic and Combat Action badges; and the Expert marksmanship badge with Carbine, Pistol, and Rifle qualification bars. While stationed at Fort Campbell, Jordan was part of two teams that won medals for the 2012 Week of the Eagles competitions, which pitted teams against others against other representatives across the entire 101st Airborne Division, as well as other units on the installation. He recieved a silver medal with the marksmanship team, and a bronze one for ultimate.
While permitted to arms when Grand Duke Travis appointed him in 2017, Jordan did not have them designed until late 2019, when he worked with the Baron of Abele the 2nd Ellsworth King of Arms to create them. Jordan opted for relatively simple arms, foregoing certain aspects, such as mantling, torse, helm, or a crest. As much of the design was created while unique Westarctican heraldic language was being developed, there are not many elements of said culture present in the arms.
Coronet: The Westarctican Ducal coronet, presented in Or and Azure, with Ermine.
Escutcheon: Shield party per bend sinister. Argent dexter chief with goutty Vert, Tenné sinister bend, with quill pen and parchment proper.
Order: Arms device for the Illustrious Antarctic Order of the Orca encircling.
Supporters: Dexter polar bear proper rampant, sinister magpie proper vigilant.
Motto: Banderole bearing "PERITA MANUS MENS EXCULTA."
Compartment: Flowering edelweiss plant proper, interwoven with banderole.
Symbolism: In the language of heraldry, the green drops or gouittes from the shield could be read to mean hope strewn upon a field of peace. The green was also chosen to represent Jordan's birth month, and as it is a color often associated with the US Army, where Jordan spent the better part of a decade. The white also represents sincerity and the long winters encountered during his time in Northern Minnesota. The quill pen and parchment symbolize scholarship, knowledge, and writing; as the former two are personally important to Jordan, and he was part of the group responsible for writing the Constitution of Westarctica. The brown was chosen to represent worthy ambition. The bear as a supporter was chosen due to the Bear Peninsula, which the title is derived from, in addition to symbolizing strength and cunning. The magpie was chosen to represent good fortune, intelligence, and a sturdy spirit. Additionally the magpie is a symbol of Korea, a nation with personal history for Jordan. The motto means "skilled hand, cultivated mind" in Latin, while the edelweiss interwoven with it, and is found in the Bavarian Alps, was chosen to represent dedication and Jordan's time living in Bavaria, as a child.